HOME       VOLUNTEER OVERSEAS       BLOGS

Thursday 23 November 2017

Parenting Success Story: Mussa Mugoya

Parenting Success Story: Mussa Mugoya

By Kavita Ahira and Victoria Balaka

In July 2017, Mussa Mugoya, along with other parenting facilitators from Phambala, Tsikulamowa, and Kwataine, underwent some training in order to build their capacity on issues of parenting and parent-to-youth discussions on topics such as sexual and reproductive health, and drug and substance abuse.  The training was provided so that parenting facilitators would be able to understand these issues clearly and be able to educate each other, other parents and their youth on prevalent matters within the community.
Mussa Mugoya

Since the training has passed and the participants have had time to implement what they have learned, we interviewed Mussa Mugoya, who is from T/A (Traditional Authority) Phambala, about his own experience:

“How did you find the training?”
“The training was very beneficial as it opened my eyes to many widespread issues such as child pregnancy, education and parent-child relationships.  My daughter became pregnant last year in Primary School, Standard 7 (around 15 years old) which led me to give up on her and stop providing for her since this was not acceptable; I had paid for her to receive a good education and taught her to be a girl who would be respected within the community.  I felt like my money and my time as a parent had been wasted.  Had I supported her, I would have been seen to be encouraging a lifestyle which is not culturally acceptable within the community.  After receiving the training, I was made to see the bigger picture and the consequences of a poor parent-child relationship.  I began to provide for my daughter again and allowed her to go back to school after giving birth to her child.  My wife and I look after the baby when she is at school.  She is now in Standard 8 and is performing very well, soon she will be sitting her final examinations to go to Secondary School.”

"How did the training benefit you as a parenting facilitator?”

“People have learnt a lot not only from what I say in sessions, but also from my actions and my own experience with my daughter.  It has made my job a lot easier as I understand a lot more than I did before, and therefore am able to relay useful information to others.”

“How did the training benefit the community / parenting circles?”

Victoria, ICS volunteer, interviewing Mr Mugoya
“Parents are now much more open to talk about broken relationships with their children in order to get advice on how to turn things around.  Girls who left education due to early pregnancies are now being encouraged to go back to school and complete their education, with the support of their families and the whole community.  By raising awareness and sharing knowledge, we are trying to eliminate the stigma attached to attending school while pregnant or after giving birth.  We want the girls in our communities to have a choice in the decisions of their lives.  There has also been an impact on the neighbouring communities as new parenting circles have been formed, and the information that we have learnt, and continue to learn from each other, is being shared with them.”

This success story is an example of how YONECO is making an impact on individuals, families and communities in rural areas where access to information is scarce.  Mussa Mugoya facilitated a parenting session on gender based violence in partnership with YONECO.  His enthusiasm and motivation was contagious which meant that the 52 parents present, were all active participants in the discussion.  YONECO monitor the progress, challenges, and successes of parenting facilitators and their groups as often as they can.  They also plan to continue providing training to more parenting facilitators in the three Target Areas in which they work; Phambala, Tsikulamowa, and Kwataine.  This will hopefully inspire the activation of more parenting circles and spark discussion on important prevalent issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment